150+ Professionals Attend Free Child Trauma Training from the NYU/KVC Midwest Trauma Training Center
On Tuesday, April 21, over 150 professionals attended a free seminar about childhood traumatic stress at the Ball Conference Center in Olathe, KS. The seminar was sponsored by the NYU/KVC Midwest Trauma Training Center and the Olathe Chamber of Commerce. Presenters included Derrick Hurst, LSCSW, Director of Residential Services at KVC Prairie Ridge Hospital; Kelly Hans-Reid, LPC, Director of Intensive In-Home Services for KVC Kansas; and Kelly Young, LMSW, KIPP Supervisor for KVC Kansas.
Professionals from several organizations attended the seminar including the Kansas Department for Children and Families, Four County Mental Health Center, Labette Community College, Parents as Teachers, the Southeast Kansas Education Center, and the Community Health Center of Southeast Kansas. Participants learned how to recognize traumatic stress, support youth and families dealing with traumatic stress, and develop effective ways of coping with secondary traumatic stress.
Here’s what some of our participants had to say about the training:
- Great information! I learned a lot that I can carry back to my job with me.
- Presenters were knowledgeable and obviously passionate about their topics.
- I’ve been to this before. It was still helpful and I learned more.
- Training was very well put together. Easy to understand no matter of job status and/or education!
- As an RN, the information presented helped me to see my role more clearly relating to the entire family, not just the child’s care. I am now more aware of the personal trauma experience I bring into action with families.
- I thought the presentation was very informative and thorough.