During the 2016 summer months, we held a nationwide story contest to gather and celebrate real examples of how KVC enriches and enhances the lives of children and families. 81 total stories were submitted from clients, families and staff highlighting a variety of services we provide including in-home family support, reunification, foster care, adoption, mental and behavioral healthcare, substance abuse treatment and psychiatric hospital treatment.
Stories were submitted from each of the states we provide services in. Read the winning stories from the contest below:
Top stories about Keeping Families Safely Together
- Family Support Services Help Single Mother Overcome Obstacles – submitted by Julie Jennings, KVC Kansas
- Teen Who Endured Childhood Trauma Finds Healing Through Therapy – submitted by Mary Kralemann, KVC Kansas
- Father Overcomes Substance Abuse, Other Obstacles to Bring His Young Son Safely Home – submitted by Monica Gray, KVC Kansas
- Trauma Narrative Helps Teen Heal from Childhood Abuse – submitted by Rachel Rogal, KVC Kentucky
Top stories about Foster Care and Adoption
- You’re Never Too Old to be Adopted: Bob’s Story [VIDEO] – submitted by Debbie Dominick, KVC Kansas
- Foster Care Specialist Embraces Mission to Find Youth an Adoptive Family – submitted by Lisa Ahmann, KVC Nebraska
- Teen Finds the Perfect Adoptive Family for Her: Lily’s Story – submitted by Rebecca James, KVC West Virginia
Top stories about KVC Team Members Going Above and Beyond
- Case Manager Provides Extra Support for Family Working to Reunite – submitted by Marie Adams, KVC Kansas
- CarePortal Provides Funds for Mother and Son in Need – submitted by Dan Reusser, KVC Kansas
Top stories about Mental/Behavioral Healthcare including Substance Abuse Treatment
- Customized Services Help Student Learn Healthy Skills – submitted by Jesse Heaton, KVC Nebraska
- Therapist Exhibits Relentless Effort to Help Youth Feel Supported and Connected – submitted by Matt Arnet, KVC Kansas
Top stories about Psychiatric Hospital Treatment
- Music Therapy Improves Communication, Social Skills for Young Girl – submitted by Rachel Rotert, KVC Prairie Ridge Hospital
- Brain Strengthening Learning Lab Helps Youth Let Go of Anger – submitted by Tanise Smith, KVC Prairie Ridge Hospital
- Mother Shares Positive Experience at KVC Prairie Ridge Hospital – submitted by Annmarie Arensberg, KVC Prairie Ridge Hospital
Share Your Story!
Have you provided or received services from KVC and have have a success story to tell? We want to hear from you! Submit your story anytime at www.kvc.org/story.