Are you an educator or counseling professional who works with children, youth and families?
The NYU/KVC Midwest Trauma Training Center has received a generous grant to offer free childhood trauma training to four Kansas schools or school districts. This training is beneficial to educators and counseling professionals who work with children, youth and families. Half-day or whole day training sessions are available with flexible location and date options which will be agreed to by the site lead and training staff.
Who should attend this training?
- Teachers, school guidance counselors, social workers, psychologists, support staff, paraprofessionals, school nurses and administrators serving children, youth and families who have been exposed to adverse experiences.
What will participants learn?
- This workshop will present an overview of the impact of childhood trauma on children, youth, families, professionals and schools. There is an emphasis on definitions, prevalence and the complicated emotional, behavioral, cognitive, interpersonal and systemic ramifications of child traumatic stress. Information on interventions will be presented and practiced, as will information on the impact of secondary stress on child and family-serving staff. Recommendations for self-care and strategies for becoming a trauma-informed school will be highlighted.
After attending, participants will be able to:
- Summarize the features of childhood traumatic stress and its impact on children, youth, caregivers, and systems.
- Explain the fundamentals of intervention and apply said principles and techniques to daily practice in an effort to support children, youth, families and team members who may be affected by traumatic stress.
- Identify signs of secondary traumatic stress and articulate strategies to mitigate its impact in themselves and their team.
Download this flyer to learn more and view half- and full day agendas. Training must occur by September 30, 2016.
Training requests must be received by June 20 and schools/districts will be selected on a first-come, first-serve basis. Contact Kelly McCauley to request a training at firstname.lastname@example.org.